LycaMobile Australia is a name that could be familiar to you if you’re an ex-pat, or if you’ve done a bit of traveling overseas. As a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) running on the Telstra 4G network. LycaMobile is a global brand with its headquarters in London and is available in over 20 countries.
It’s one of the few telcos with a real emphasis on providing affordable international calls. So it is an ideal provider for ex-pats, travelers, and international students. And anyone else who needs to make international calls regularly. While many other telcos focus on entertainment features or huge data offerings. LycaMobile Australia’s unique emphasis puts it in a position where it has more of an opportunity to shine. But just how do LycaMobile’s prepaid SIM-only plans really stack up?
Register yourself and get a chance to win lottery
LycaMobile plans at a glance
LycaMobile offers SIM-only prepaid plans across a range of price points with varying data inclusions. You’ll also find some unlimited international calls to select countries, with included countries varying from plan to plan. All of these plans do include unlimited standard national calls and SMS, with plans starting at $10 and going up to $50. You might also find deals like discounts on your first recharge or bonus data on offer, so keep an eye out to see what is available.
Additionally, LycaMobile offers a weekly plan, costing $10 per seven days, including 10GB of data and unlimited calls to 29 countries. Long-term plans over three-month, six-month, and 12-month periods are also available through LycaMobile, with each plan offering unlimited calls to 12 countries.
What does LycaMobile offer?
International call value is where LycaMobile really does shine. While the plans do offer the basics for national talk and text and decent data inclusions, five of the seven plans include unlimited international calls to select countries. The top two plans expand the unlimited calls to include a massive 54 countries, further cementing LycaMobile as one of the best telcos for international call inclusions. Since these plans are only available as prepaid plans, that does give you the flexibility and freedom to cancel whenever you want.
LycaMobile network and coverage
LycaMobile operates as an MVNO on the Telstra 4G and 3G network to deliver its phone and data services to over 99% of the Australian population. Telstra is also working at building more towers across the country to improve regional coverage. If you have Telstra coverage in your area, this opens up access to LycaMobile and many of the other MVNOs on the network. Below is a screenshot of LycaMobile’s current 4G and 3G coverage, represented by the green and orange/brown areas. You can check the LycaMobile website for more detailed information.
Features and Bonuses
All of LycaMobile’s plans come with unlimited standard national calls and SMS, plus unlimited calls from Lyca to Lyca numbers.
- International calls: LycaMobile’s international call inclusions are definitely a big draw card if you have friends and family overseas. The XS plan offers unlimited calls to 12 countries including Canada, China, New Zealand, the UK, and the USA, plus 30 or 10-minute allowances to other select countries. The S and M plans include access to 15 countries in total (which includes the 12 listen in the smaller plans) with Japan, Peru, and Puerto Rico being the 3 extra countries, plus additional 30 or 10-minute allowances to other select countries. The L and XL plans include unlimited calls to 53 countries, including many European countries, plus a choice of 300 or 100-minute call allowances to further select countries.
- Auto-recharge: After your first recharge, you can set up auto-recharge so your plan will automatically top up after the balance drops under the amount you set it at.
- International roaming: You are able to use your LycaMobile phone overseas, but you’ll need to check the roaming rates on the LycaMobile website to determine how much it will cost you to use it on your travels.
- Data add-ons: If you run out of data, you can purchase a data addon for your plan through LycaMobile. 1GB costs $5, 3GB costs $10, 10GB costs $25 and 50GB costs $50. These data add-ons last 28 days before they expire.
Other LycaMobile plans
LycaMobile also offers one seven-day plan and two long-term plans:
- Seven-day plan: 10GB for $10 per seven days (Includes unlimited international minutes to 29 countries)
- Six-month plan: 150GB for $150 per six months, $120 for new customers (Includes unlimited international minutes to 29 countries)
- 12-month plan: 420GB for $360 per 12 months, $288 for new customers (Includes unlimited international minutes to 29 countries)
LycaMobile contact details/customer support
Need some help with your LycaMobile plan or service? The telco offers several contacts and support options, including:
- General customer support: 1300 854 607 or 122 from LycaMobile numbers
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lycamobileAU
- LycaMobile app for both iPhone and Android
Is LycaMobile a good deal?
Keeping in touch with friends and family overseas used to be expensive, but technological advancements make it easier than ever to keep in touch, whether it’s through social media or mobile apps. However there is still a need to be able to make international calls rather than relying on apps and the internet, and that’s where LycaMobile really shines.
While there are other telcos offering even more data for your money than LycaMobile, if you have a need for unlimited international calls, LycaMobile definitely has one of the most comprehensive international call plans you’ll be able to get. The purchasing is a little confusing as you select a plan and then have the option to add a recharge amount to your SIM plan order.
LycaMobile does offer some good value for money and if you’re an ex-pat, student, or traveler, you’ll definitely be able to find some good value. If you are looking into prepaid phone plans, it might be worth keeping LycaMobile in the mix as you compare phone plans.